Thursday 13 September 2012

Think before you speak (or blog)

I am a passionate person, when I feel strongly about something I will normally wax lyrical about it until I bore myself.

This is sometimes a bad thing, and I say this because if I fall out with a person, I will go to another person and spew out my concerns and anger and how mad I am about the situation. Generally though, I will sleep on the situation and wake up with a different view; feeling more in control, or just less angry, and I will sometimes regret what I said in the heat of the moment.

I hate arguing with people because I get so cross in that moment that I sometimes say things that are extremely nasty, and I don't necessarily mean them; the sole purpose of my saying it is to hurt and get one up on the other person. I don't like it when it's done to me but hey, that's arguments. It's a nasty but common trait and I'm not alone in doing it - I know this for a fact.

During arguments or similar situations, reactions occur. Reactions are an inbuilt part of being a human being, you protect yourself instinctively when faced with something physical, emotional or mental. Hands up to catch a ball thrown to (or at) you, hands out when you fall etc etc. But reactions are sometimes stupid and can end up with you feeling like a complete tit.

Once, I was asked to do some overtime at work by the manager of the department. I saw her doing the rounds, asking people directly so they felt more pressured to agree. I felt quite incensed that I was effectively being asked to give up half of my weekend to come to work, and that they were bringing out the big guns to make staff feel like they couldn't say no. When she arrived at my desk, she asked the dreaded question,
"Any chance of you doing any over time this weekend?"
I mentally puffed out my chest and said, "Sorry, I can't this weekend." I hate confrontation and I was quite literally shaking inside as I told her no, this made me even madder, why was I so bothered by her and this bloody situation? As soon as her back was turned I angrily mouthed "F**k off!"
It was at that moment that I spotted, through the gaps in the computers, my team leader - and friend of the manager - raise her eyebrows at my silent yet meaningful curse.
"I saw that," she mouthed.

I felt even sicker then. But she never told the boss, or if she did, it was never mentioned...

The moral of the story is think before you speak. Or blog. Or mouth obscenities at your boss. Because you never know who might be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment